One Thing Adoration in Birmingham – November 2017

Dear Friends on the Way, I am grateful to report that our One Thing Adoration was a beautiful event. One Thing Adoration is an apostolate of Apostoli Via for the purposes of:

• Worshiping the Lord in the Eucharist
  • Promotion of Eucharistic Adoration
  • Promotion of the Restoration of Reverence in the Mass and Adoration

We were grateful to have a number of our Apostoli Viae Sojourner friends and Disciples helping to make the event happen. This was by far the most peaceful and prayerful event for me because the setup and coordination was so easy and simple.  A number of attendees indicated that it was the most moving for them of the three we have had.

The intention of our prayer during adoration was for two things, first for the Her Choice Women’s Center in Birmingham. They serve abortion-minded women, and their banquet was underway as we worshipped the Lord. Our second intention was for the purposes stated above and particularly the restoration of reverence for the Lord in the Blessed Sacrament.

Both prayers were answered in that our event was very reverent and Her Choice raised a record amount of donations during their banquet!

The talks during adoration all related to what it means to worship the Lord in the Eucharist in a way fitting for a king – because the King of Kings is present!

The evening began with Eucharistic Exposition and the beautiful and simple acapella signing of a eucharistic hymn. We continued into silent adoration for twenty minutes.

We gently emerged out of the silence into a chanted psalm and antiphon and then a brief reflection. We repeated this rhythm three times and then ended with Benediction.

I will leave the rest of the description of the evening to those who attended. They will add their thoughts in the comment box below.

1+

6 thoughts on “One Thing Adoration in Birmingham – November 2017”

1. The time of adoration and reflection was very prayerful. I was so grateful to glean from the talks and I enjoyed chanting with everyone. I was glad to see so many young adults join in and they all had great things to say about the event. I could really feel the Holy Spirit present and at work in their lives. I am excited to be more involved with the college students through FireLight and I hope to continue seeing a younger crowd at our events. Grateful.

2. I was deeply moved by the entire event, the reverence, the talks, the chant and prayer! Fr. Bean in promoting the event stated that if you want to experience Jesus, then come to the One Thing Adoration. He was right. How could one not experience Jesus in that church with the lights dimmed, Jesus surrounded by 40 candles, psalms chanted by everyone and three separate times of adoration interspersed with talks led by the Holy Spirit delivered by His messenger with such love, kindness, gentleness and most of all truth. I am most grateful.

3. The intimacy created by the ‘smallness’ of St Theresa’s, with the silence, and the warm glow of the thabor candles created an environment that transported me to the foot of the heavenly monstrance. I felt as though everything fell away and I was there, alone, with Jesus. It truly was a taste of heaven. I yearned to remove everything in my life that separates me from God. I could have stayed there ‘forever’.

4. I am not exaggerating when I say that I was moved to tears at one point during the evening. I am very blessed to be able to do an hour of adoration at a local chapel a couple times a week, but this event was something special. The atmosphere in that building during the whole event was one of unrelenting worship. It was such a beautiful visual representation of who He is and who we are in relation to Him. He is the Lord and He deserves our absolute best.

O God, you are my God, for you I long;
    for you my soul is thirsting.
    My body pines for you
    like a dry, weary land without water.
    So I gaze on you in the sanctuary
    to see your strength and your glory. – Psalm 63: 1 – 2

12 But you, LORD, sit enthroned forever; your renown endures through all generations. – Psalm 102:12

Leave a Reply